Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

**Goped esr 750 headway lifepo4 24ah diy conversion**

This thread is about my sla to lithium conversion, but also to discuss anything battery related to esrs so feel free to say what you think
    First of all a few pictures of what i got:

16x 12ah headway cells 38140 i think not 100%sure

1x 60-150 amp bms

1x 8s charger

I bought all of this stuff from the uk but theres plenty of places in america wich sell them if not bmsbattery from china pf loads of other places.

First of all i started taking the battery pan off, i took the charger off wich i wont be needing anymore , and removed the esc to disconect the charger and work out all the wiring.

After that, we was playing arround a bit with the batteries to see what positioning would be best.

For charging i plan on wiring the mains conector as my charger and just plug the charger in from the outside might protect it with a fuse just incase any shorting.

Will be updating in the next few days, also all of this was pretty cheap only 360 pounds with shipping, lifepo4 is the cheapest chemistry to go for as it will take about 1000 charge cicles, i count on a few less tho.

Also upgraded the front wheel to billet and a hydro brake.

Feel free to coment
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

Gopedboy (10-18-2015)

Thanks
    Some more pics

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

bikeguy (03-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thank you so much for posting your conversion build. I have been wanting to do this, but I am not familiar with electrical design. I can read and follow directions though, so this will get me much closer to a fighting chance at a chemistry upgrade!

Thanks
    Got some progress on the battery pack today, screwed the batteries together and paired the by resistances, the most similar together. I runed some foam on the bottom of the pan to protect the bateries.

The fit is a bit tight but possible, battery spacer needed some modifications as you can see by the pictures, if you have any questions just ask ,its dificult to explain all ☺

Thanks
    Its not letting me post pics at the moment ill try later

Thanks
    Just finished the conversion, everything working perfect would recomend to anyone wanting to upgrade from slas, i want to explain all the process but it isnt leting me upload the pictures, an error comes up ,do you know any other way of posting the pics???

Thanks
    I'd like to see a picture of the end result. A video would be even better.

You can try tinypic and copy the URL into your post. Check the image size. You might been to down scale it before you can upload.

I am looking to start an electric build before summer, but I don't have the a lot of experience with ECS's, amperages, and such. I would love to learn more about the subject.

Thanks
    Finally got to attaching the fotos.

So first of all you have to take the controller and charger out of the battery pan and desolder the conector that goes to the charger, make sure you dont over heat the terminals as we will be reusing the conector as a plug for the external charger.

Now is a good moment to give the pan a clean and make sure its flat at the bottom, take out any dents if they are big, if you are not confident with doing this leave it, just saying because the fit is tight every mm counts.

Then you will have to buy a M6 threaded rod and cut it in bits, about 1,75-2cm long.

You have to be carefull not to exceed 4nm torque with these cells as they will be Irreversibly damaged, you will be screwing the threads by hand into the negative side of the cells then, you will be screwing that into the positive side to avoid the screw botoming out into the positive terminal, this only for conecting the cells in the middle, for the ends you will be using the screws that are suplied (you might have to remove the spring washed due to tight fit)

Then its about insulating the posts that stick threw the deck, i used 2 layers of shrink wrap and then wraped arround it the thick plastic that comes glued onto the side of the pan, held it on with a cable tie, under no circunstance you do not want a short circuit because youll get sparks smoke fry the bms the bateries your scooter and posibly fire, so take this step carefully and make sure your terminals are not going to short out with the posts.

To make the conector plates i soldered 2 ring terminals to thick electrical cable 14awg i thing, the i had to file them flat (very important or the batteries wont sit flat.

Then you can start assembling the pack in a 2p8s configuration this means 2 paralel and then 8 of those( 2 paralel ) in series, so you will need 16 cells . I got the 12ah ones, headway 38140 theyre called, just to make the most of the space and get the maximum life out of the pack as more amps in capacity can also deliver more amps in discharge.

Once you have the pack assembled ( dont do it up tight as you will have to un screw it all to solder the balancing wires) , you will have to modify as shown the sla battery spacer , with a dremel , in my case i used a dental implant unit as my dad works in the dental trade.

Now you can go ahead and work out how you bms Is wired ,in my case to the bms goes : negative battery , negative charger and negative power out (esc) all positives conect together. Then balancing cable no.1 you skip the negative ( as it allready has a pickup for that on the bms) an cable no.1 goes to the first series after that , they all go in order so no.2 goes to second series 3 to 3 and so on till cable 8 does go the the MAIN POSITIVE TERMINAL, NOT LIKE THE NO.1 WITH WE SKIPED THE MAIN NEGATIVE TERMINAL ( if you dont get this let me know ill explain over again)

It important that you get the right bms , obviously 8s lifepo4 and mimum 60 amps constant.

You can then go ahead and assemble everything and check with the multimeter all voltages are right.

Finally solder both esc positive cables to a ring terminal and the negative aswell and conect positive to positive and negative to negative.

You should be good to go, ask any question you want

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

Dirtmonkey (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    More pics

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

Dirtmonkey (04-03-2015)

Thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

Dirtmonkey (04-03-2015)

Thanks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

Dirtmonkey (04-03-2015)

Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

Dirtmonkey (04-03-2015)

Thanks

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Go-Pol For This Useful Post:

Dirtmonkey (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks for posting this, it is very enlightening.

Thanks
    Thanks final lot of pictures.