Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Shtf kit - thing you would take with you.

Hi guys
    What would you take with you for those days when SHTF ?
    Do you go with a spare tire ? Chain ? Tools ?
    Do you just walk with your ped home ?!

Thanks
    I used to load my backpack with tools. Every Allen key needed to rebuild the scooter, a 9/16 box wrench, a 15/16 socket, an adjustable wrench, an inner tube, a socket for breaking the rim apart, 10ft of chain, chain breaker, 10mm socket, sprocket tool, strive sprocket, clutch, clutch bell and bearing and a set of snap ring pliers. Oh, and spark plugs.

But that was because I was part of large and long rides.
    Last edited by Ogre; 07-06-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    I'm going to make my own forum with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum.

Thanks
    At the bare minimum I would recommend an inexpensive bicycle multi-tool. They are shaped like a pocket knife with an assortment of allen heads with a Philips and slot screw driver bit to make adjustment or minor repairs along the side of the road.

I prefer the ToPeak Rocket Ratchet Lite kit. I can customize the bits that I choose to carry, and the well made ratchet is a real joy to use and it can get into some very tight spaces. It works so well even carry one of these on my motorcycle.

As for what to carry when the SHTF........that is a discussion for a different forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CP......
    HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJ For This Useful Post:

Gopedboy (07-20-2016),Zen420 (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Hi SJ. How are you?
    I'm going to make my own forum with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum.

Thanks
    If you work on your ped at home take all the tools you used to fix it and put those tools in a backpack. Bring a patch kit and extra inner tube. If you get a flat swap out the inner tube and patch the broken one so you have it for later. Chain breaker and chain is a must also. Chain lube for those long rides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    I knew I was forgetting something, LUUBE!!!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thats what she said.

Thanks

Thanks
    Speaking of lube, I'll be back in 30 min or so.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ogre For This Useful Post:

qwerty (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    On the non-40 GSRT's the tool to move the motor mount nuts to retension the chain is invaluable, same goes for a screwdriver to fish for a dropped chain.

I found that having a set of one-way gloves ( get diesel-gloves of a gas station for free if you don't have the silicone ones) and some paper towels ( or keep some paper tissues from one of the lunch stops, if you can a wet one way cleansing towel as Mc D did with the Mc Rib) comes in very handy every time one of the other tools is required as well.

To fix punctures, there is silica-based spray in cans that serves a temporary fix ( not to be confused with the gel variant which permanently seals) without curing time like the gel/slime and the can is under pressure so the tire is fixed and partially reinflated in one go.

This creates no mess in the tubes inside ( again other than the slime), however applying some of the slime in a healty tire is a great way to prevent future punctures.

Thanks
    On an electric, the allen key to remove the deck screws is useful and compact to carry around.
    All chain related troubles spare from extreme wear is cured once a slackinator is installed, so all i'd bring is a solid lock and that allen key which can be used to fish for a chain shalt it ever drop.
    If you can find a really short charger cable - or fabricate one out of flat stranded wire - carrying this in a seoprene laptop pouch ziptied to the bars ( this Kangaroo bag can fit thick and long cable locks as well) that may become useful at one point depending on driving habits as well.

Thanks
    Add a Schrader-valve stem extension to your kit.

Name:  08-0132.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  13.7 KB

It makes filling tires SO easy.
    MB Products | Coast Ped Crew
    instagram.com/mb_products
    facebook.com/mbengineered

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marc For This Useful Post:

CaliusOptimus (07-06-2016),depog revilo (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Or one of these if your valve is hidden behind the sprocket!
    Name:  ext.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  12.0 KB

Or get one of these if you just can't figure out what is wrong with your life.
    Name:  ext2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  34.8 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CaliusOptimus For This Useful Post:

Marc (07-06-2016)

Thanks
    Another thing to keep on your ride pack - or just strapped to the Ped if there is no risk of strong rain while riding/ parked:
    "Frog silicone" strapon LED lights.
    These sell for 1.20 USD on ebay for a single one and 2 dollars in pairs shipped form Asia, the 2x CR2032 button cells are included with most but not all vendors, some are single-LEd and most are dual LED.

I recommend a (surprisingly bright) white one ( dual LED) for the top of your riser bar ( high enough so it can be seen over a car trunk/hood) and a second orange-colored one ( again dual LED)at themid/lower part of the riser /slide tube so you can be seen from the side.

The third one ( red in color) can be single LED for style reasons or dual for more light reflected from the rear wheel - thatnks ot it being silicone it stretches far enough to go wround the rear tip of your frame around the rear axle.

All 3 together cost less than 5 bucks ( even if you take 2 white front lights and put them at the T-bar and not the riser pole), fit in a fist, the batteries last eternally and make for great safety.

This kit is recommandable as a fallback for those that have quality lights or those that have none at all by yet, it does not mess up the design since being so small, requires no mount to fit but can be strapped on using its elastic silicone body as the mount - nothing bad to say about them except for being not waterproof.

You can set these to 3 modes, a permanent light a fast and a slow blinking setting.

Example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Bicycle...2h2fAxsPygsQjw
    I do highly recommend these and am happy with them, they helped myself (and pedestrians) out of several narrow misses at dawn.

Thanks
    I've logged many miles on my rides and only seized one,and two flats.
    travel with a phone and wallet with cash is my way.i can walk/run forever so no worries.