Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I got the engine torn apart and it looks to be in good shape. I get the feeling it has been sitting in a shed for at least a few years judging by the smell of the oil inside. The carb needs a rebuild, the crank seals gotta go and there is a bronze bushing in the clutch that is about toast but other than that it looks tits. Bore is clean, ring is in good condition, no stripped bolt holes... I'm a happy camper.

I ordered a pullstart from a yamaha dealership. Wasn't cheap but hey... problem solved!

I took a few minutes to mock up the different mounting positions. It looks like center mounting is the most painless choice. The other option is to mount it 40 style with a jackshaft. This also looks pretty painless but I don't have a jackshaft or a 40 frame soooo that's not really my best option. The best part is that with either of these options I don't need to reverse the motor's rotation! W00t this is gonna be easy... once all my parts are here I'll have it running in a weekend or two. Hopefully.

Thanks
    This is so awesome! Are you gonna find a pipe or just run the can? These motors are LOUD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliusOptimus View Post
    I got the engine torn apart and it looks to be in good shape. I get the feeling it has been sitting in a shed for at least a few years judging by the smell of the oil inside. The carb needs a rebuild, the crank seals gotta go and there is a bronze bushing in the clutch that is about toast but other than that it looks tits. Bore is clean, ring is in good condition, no stripped bolt holes... I'm a happy camper.

I ordered a pullstart from a yamaha dealership. Wasn't cheap but hey... problem solved!

I took a few minutes to mock up the different mounting positions. It looks like center mounting is the most painless choice. The other option is to mount it 40 style with a jackshaft. This also looks pretty painless but I don't have a jackshaft or a 40 frame soooo that's not really my best option. The best part is that with either of these options I don't need to reverse the motor's rotation! W00t this is gonna be easy... once all my parts are here I'll have it running in a weekend or two. Hopefully.
    I was going to suggest using a jackshaft but hesitant bescause I really wanted to see this thing running like a 40 on a 40 frame. But I agree, either of those two seem like the best options. Interesting to see what you do with this. Remember, any monkey with a welder can mid mount a motor, an old Briggs and Stratton for instance, and they all look terriable. The key would be to make it look as factory as possible.
    *******Pedding since '02********

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz Mon View Post
    This is so awesome! Are you gonna find a pipe or just run the can? These motors are LOUD
    Well... I'll start with the can and see how it goes. If it is fast enough I'll build a nice muffler of some sort. If it ain't fast enough... I might need to see a psychiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by dsport View Post
    I was going to suggest using a jackshaft but hesitant bescause I really wanted to see this thing running like a 40 on a 40 frame. But I agree, either of those two seem like the best options. Interesting to see what you do with this. Remember, any monkey with a welder can mid mount a motor, an old Briggs and Stratton for instance, and they all look terriable. The key would be to make it look as factory as possible.
    I haven't settled on a frame config so it may end up some other way. My Gtr frame should be here soon and I haven't decided against that either. After seeing the '17 buildoff thread I'm gonna take my time and make sure it looks nice... unlike my other peds

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CaliusOptimus For This Useful Post:

Depths of Hell (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    The weight and height of that engine makes doesn't really seem feasible on a gtr to me. I feel like it would lean to the side and speed wobble like a mofo but you always figure things out!

I'm very excited to see what you will do with this and on a side note I think you already need a psychiatrist!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEO-GUY For This Useful Post:

CaliusOptimus (12-03-2016),maxman (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GEO-GUY View Post
    The weight and height of that engine makes doesn't really seem feasible on a gtr to me. I feel like it would lean to the side and speed wobble like a mofo but you always figure things out!

I'm very excited to see what you will do with this and on a side note I think you already need a psychiatrist!
    it spins backwards like a pro 60. it will likely be center mounted.
    I'm going to make my own forum with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the forum.

Thanks
    Yeah center mount is looking pretty good right now. The engine is big, but it's no more of a challenge than the water cooled blata peds I've seen. My only concern is the air filter taking up precious leg room.... may need to make a 90 degree manifold and point it elsewhere.

Thanks
    Got this baby all cleaned up and ready for assembly. Just waiting on my parts order... crank seals, bearings, gaskets etc.

Name:  20161205_200118.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  237.2 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CaliusOptimus For This Useful Post:

Depths of Hell (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    When I first got this engine I measured the gaskets so I could replace them with ones of the same thickness. Put it all together with fresh gaskets and the squish is 0.018"!

This is why an engine builder should ALWAYS check the squish!

Name:  20161209_164407.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  184.4 KB

On a side note... I painted it. I don't plan of WOTing much so I figure it won't hurt a bit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CaliusOptimus For This Useful Post:

Depths of Hell (12-09-2016)

Thanks
    dear lord, so this is what Josh was talking about.
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    if he does it, it will give me the reason to build my full suspension OgrePed.

it's a design i have had in my head for about 4 years. the engine sits in front of the wheel on a swingarm. 2 shocks mounted over the rear axle and a motorcycle front end. dual tube frame.
    Too much weight in aheads of the front wheel and attached to the pivotable steering is dangerous. The Volosolex had riders going over the bars on wift turns due loosing grip at the rear, particulalry when breaking, and that has the weight atop of the front wheel hub.
    Plenty of people not used ot weight in a carry gasket in front of bike steering bars went over the bars and faceplanted when putting weight in there.
    Making this front weight springloaded would likely even increase the risk ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Too much weight in aheads of the front wheel and attached to the pivotable steering is dangerous. The Volosolex had riders going over the bars on wift turns due loosing grip at the rear, particulalry when breaking, and that has the weight atop of the front wheel hub.
    Plenty of people not used ot weight in a carry gasket in front of bike steering bars went over the bars and faceplanted when putting weight in there.
    Making this front weight springloaded would likely even increase the risk ?
    His post doesn't say he's mounting engine on the front wheel. The engine will be in front of the rear wheel & centered from what I read.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey View Post
    His post doesn't say he's mounting engine on the front wheel. The engine will be in front of the rear wheel & centered from what I read.
    Like on an Evo, putting the motor where the transmission sits instead ?
    That would be great, the motor mount on the swingarm makes it different from motorbikes and makes spring tensioning/ routing much easier and better balanced than with the sideways motor mount.

Front Mb shocks will dive where cidli will not on braking, but a bothy fork will still feel more stable and 'rake" can be applied where a Goped cidli fork would soon break ( if not mounted 90 degrees).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliusOptimus View Post
    Honestly I don't see anything about it that doesn't sound fun! I've never ridden or driven anything that had enough power, however, I'm sure there is a limit and if I reach it there is zero difficulty in making the engine slower.

This definitely has me concerned, but I think it can be done. If the 400cc honda 4 strokes can be pull started I think this can too. I searched "kt100 pull start" and someone said the kt100 came stock with a pull start at some point. This will probably be the hardest part of getting this engine on a ped...
    just kick start it thats what john did on his big boy or danny boy what ever you call it.
    PEDFEST 2013 ALUMNUS
    PEDFEST 2014 ALUMNUS
    PEDFEST 2015 ALUMNUS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsport View Post
    Attachment 30667

It's seen better days, but this one has both a recoil starter and standardish clutch. With just an adapter plate I'm sure it can bolt up to a 40. Even has your V-stack on there too
    So I picked up this pullstart but it looks like I need a couple other pieces. I've been calling the yamaha dealerships trying to find em' but it's becoming a challenge. I may just make the parts myself if I can't get them for a good price. This would give me the opportunity to add a little weight to the flywheel (for easier starting) because the flywheel on this thing is the size of a stock 60.

Name:  20161214_095231.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  143.5 KB