Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I got my KID 9 3/4" steering wheel today So quick like a bunny I cut the T-bar off and put a quick release steering wheel hub onto the shaft then bolted the wheel to the hub. It has a real Goooooood feel to it. Next I have to get the crossmember and this splinned hub welded on.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    CP......
    HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

Thanks
    The good thing about having a spare frame is I can use it for test fitting and stuff, and because it is stock length and axle width I can compare it to the limo frame and better visualize how best to use that extra 4" And I used it this afternoon to try this wheel out. The Kid wheel is a lot smaller than the butterfly, and it should give me more hand and arm room while in the cockpit and an competition. With the extra 4", a nice kart seat it should be quite comfortable while seated. And if I can get the pedals to work out up front, the cockpit should be simple, uncluttered and very efficient.
    CP......

Thanks
    I cleaned up this steering wheel today. I sanded and smothed over the edges, put a RED zip tie around the top of the wheel for a visual reference. And I just happen to have some beauty washers left over from the EVO build so I dressed her up a bit along with one of my signature Texas Stars.
    CP......

Thanks
    Put some horns on the front

Thanks
    It is beginning to look like a little race car

And yes, I already have a set of bumpers on order and I should get the Tillett T-8 1/4 Pad seat tomorrow and hope to start figuring out where and how we want to mount it. .
    CP......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    It is beginning to look like a little race car
    The design would go great with a little chromed airhorn, powered by a silicon bubble hand pump.
    These are available for bikes and children bikes in particular, but looked great at a black HoBo too ( if you are comfortable with either angling it to reach the pump with the thumb or to take a hand of the bars...).

On a Quad like this and with a classic pilot these little post horns would look great ( stand out detail, too).

Thanks
    I had the crossmember welded in today, thanks Jason, and once I get a little junk in the trunk (weight in the rear) this little folding portable work stand will hold the kart or a scooter nice and stable both here at home and while at the track or on a ride.
    CP......

Thanks
    AND.........my Throne arrived This thing fits me like a glove, and hugs me like a woman in love

This is just spitballing, but in this position the back of the seat is 3" farther back than the old stock black seat are, but still ahead of where the back of the seat is on a stock frame. Tomorrow I will try different seating positions and start to plan for struts. I also picked up an ADA fuel tank and it will fit perfect mounted under the steering hoop.
    CP......

Thanks
    Looks like you are stealing parts from other scooters....is the knowped ok?

Thanks
    Heavy duty pedals

Thanks
    With the frame stretched 4" I have the luxury of moving the seat back so I did some mock up and test fitting this morning. I think I like the seat about 3" farther back than on a stock frame, which then also gives me an extra inch behind the seat to decide where to place the rear axle. Seat back angle will probably end up somewhere around 60 degrees.
    CP......

Thanks
    With the wheel on and the QR pin installed there is/was an inherent bit of slop or for and aft movement of the steering wheel, that was a bit off putting. So when I drilled the steering wheel for the Star treatment I had to use a 1/16" thick ruber washer to get the Star tightened down. But then the pin would not go through the hole So I started trimming around the outer edge of the rubber washer until I can now install the wheel and with only a slight bit of pressure on the wheel I can push the pin through and hear the CLICK. The wheel is then solid as a rock...NO movement what so ever.
    CP......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Pardon me chief, as it seems I will continually chime in with what I did on my quad build.

Methodical planning went into my build, going off downfalls of others previous builds. Something I always noticed on peoples builds, was a melted seat from the pipe on forward facing exhaust engines.

On stock builds, the engine lands in one general area, and this dictates seat location on an unmodified chassis. I do suggest getting the rear axle placed, then engine and exhaust routed before locking in the seat location. It will help avoid confrontation of all the necessary equiptment.

The kart seats add a new dilemma to these builds, but can also be a saving grace. I noticed, the more recline in the seat, the more comfortable my leg position. As you know, I am a tall lanky bastard and need all the leg room I can get.

Loving the progress, looking forward to seeing it in person as well. ��

Keep in mind, I starred at my quad for a year and a half hanging in my shop. So I had lots of time to plan my build. ��
    Hell Fab

Thanks
    LOTS of sitting and staring going on down here too

I am planning on using a forward facing MBCR motor, so the pipe is a rear mount and clearance should not be a problem. We just have to make sure there is plenty of room for whatever intake track I use. And with this 4" stretch I can move the seat back 3" and still have MORE room behind the seat to place the axle. And there is a possibility we may go with a real kart rear axle, which then presents a whole other set of installation challenges, but none that can't be solved as it has been done many times before..

I am going to try and fine tune the seat position today in relation to the steering wheel and at what angle is most comfortable for me, mark the frame and then we can start making seat supports.
    CP......

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ For This Useful Post:

Depths of Hell (01-18-2017)

Thanks
    Nice build SJ!
    I have one of my dual motor mounts that has been bent the wrong way. Still 100% usable, just couldn't sell to the masses. Should you decide to go the route of a solid mount or kart axle I'd love to see it end up on here. Just LMK and I'll be more than happy to send it your way for the cost of postage.

Great Job!