Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UpsetChemist View Post
    Nice build SJ!
    I have one of my dual motor mounts that has been bent the wrong way. Still 100% usable, just couldn't sell to the masses. Should you decide to go the route of a solid mount or kart axle I'd love to see it end up on here. Just LMK and I'll be more than happy to send it your way for the cost of postage.

Great Job!
    Oh man, that sounds fandiddlytastic, and it could be just the ticket IF we decide to go with a real kart axle.
    Thanks for the encouraging words, acknowledgment is one of the reasons that WE do these builds. PM sent.
    CP......
    HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    LOTS of sitting and staring going on down here too
    Can't help but stare when it's between you and the TV

Thanks
    Before I try to figure out where to place this seat I decided to clean up the frame a bit to better see the marks my Dear. And while I was at it I made sure the front of the steering knuckles were flat by sanding them down and smooth. Then using a piece of angle aluminum clamped to the knuckles I drew a temporary line with a Sharpie along the axle as a test to see if I 'could' make a straight reference line, if we decide to widen the front end.

IF we decide to widen the front end we can scribe a more precise line on the axle and on the larger axle tubing. Then we cut the front axle off, clean it up, chop it in half, cut the longer outer axle tube to desired length and insert the stock axle halves into the larger tube to the desired position, line up the lines and WELD it back together.

And if we don't widen the front end, the Sharpie will easily rub off before powder coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    CP......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Seat back angle will probably end up somewhere around 60 degrees.
    Angling the seat so it won't cramp with pushing feet pedals is important, other than on a car seat the upper leg area should not just rest on the seat as vibration combination with increased muscle engagement while riding would lead to cramps.Mounting it on a pivotable T-shaped lever on a axle under the bottox area could make for a setup adjustable in angle by pins (?).

That seat looks great, the safety of the side flanks is a different to the foldable stadium/ bass boat seats like a certified full face helmet compares to a bandana.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,521 Posts
    I considered widening the front axle in that fashion, but chose a different route.

Regardless, I highly recommend it for the sake of handling. 😎
    Hell Fab

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Depths of Hell View Post
    I considered widening the front axle in that fashion, but chose a different route.

Regardless, I highly recommend it for the sake of handling. 😎
    After....I found the oversize tubing when I got home I went back to look at quad pics and found your build thread. I guess I must have....skimmed over it at the time of your build. Your version obviously works as well, good job. And I really like what you did to the steering knuckles. We may have to borrow a few of them idears.
    CP......

Thanks
    I only used that solid rod cause I had it, and hopes of adding weight to the front would help with controls. Dunno

I had big plans of custom spindles with intergrated bearing and such. There is just so much slop in the stock set up, it leaves a bit to be desired.

Those collars made quick work, and what a difference it made. I used the .375 rod cause I had it, and it was too late to get to the hardware store. I planned to get .375" shoulder bolts instead, but took it to Rocklin, finished for the build off and forgot. I made some bumpers for a fellow member, so I'm currently revisiting the things I forgot about. 😂

I love all the fabrication amd custom stuff, no suprise. But I also look for the most efficient way without comprimising aesthetics tooooo much. Use whatever you like, it is an honor to have others appreciate and implement ideas.

Thank you for the kind words seņior. 👊
    Hell Fab

Thanks
    A friend of mine gave me this odd little aluminum box, and this is the lid. I have trimmed it to fit in the steering hoop and plan to cut along the drawn lines, then clamp it into position and try to wrap the wings around the tubes. Then try to braze or solder it to the hoop and I will have a super lightweight dash panel that I can then mount a Tach/Hour meter to, along with a Kill switch. Below is a link to the LED Tach/Hour meter that I plan to use.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Deluxe-L...ZYZCbA&vxp=mtr
    CP......

Thanks
    THAT did not take as long as I thought it might

I may have out done myself this time .....so far this 'hand formed' dash panel is the shits, and a very nice bit that FITS
    CP......

Thanks
    I think my X-Band portable band saw finally gave up the ghost So I went by CP today to have a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet cut to make this fuel tank bracket. More to come, once I get it moar finished.
    CP......

Thanks
    Back in 2014, when I was fortunate enough to bring home a quad from Cable. My good friend XLR8R gave me a tank bracket that welds up in the steering support. He had just bought it from Jim Hollister, but was kind enough to donate it to me.

Any how, I never used it, still on my shelf of stuff and things. I'll post a pic of where it goes and maybe it can get a new home. 🤘
    Hell Fab

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Depths of Hell View Post
    Back in 2014, when I was fortunate enough to bring home a quad from Cable. My good friend XLR8R gave me a tank bracket that welds up in the steering support. He had just bought it from Jim Hollister, but was kind enough to donate it to me.

Any how, I never used it, still on my shelf of stuff and things. I'll post a pic of where it goes and maybe it can get a new home. 🤘
    Wow, that is a very generous offer and I would like to see those pics.

After I posted the last pics I got busy and cut and drilled a piece of 3/4" x 3/4" angle steel to just fit between the frame to mount the tank plate too. Actually, as usual I had to cut 2 cross members because the first one is just a C hair too narrow. Still plenty usable, but I am kind of anal or OCD And then I trimmed and drilled the tank plate to mount to the new X-member. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the new x-member welded in. The tank feels really solid bolted to the x-member and actually rests on the stock round cross member just in front of it. And I can still get to the nuts if I need to remove the tank.

Things are moving along nicely
    CP......

Thanks
    I notched the ends of the cross member this morning so cables can be run through. I will try to get this welded into place this afternoon.

I think a set of Daves super sturdy fuel tank fittings are in order on this build. I found the extra O-rings....now if I can only fin the danged fittings
    CP......

Thanks

Last edited by Depths of Hell; 01-21-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    Hell Fab

Thanks
    Thanks for the pics Dave, I almost fell out of my chair trying to ɯǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞool That tank mount would work great on a non-stretched frame where room is a premium. I fortunately have the luxury of extra space. I thought about welding a 1 1/2" strap to the hoop and mounting TTO gauges, but that little hunk of aluminum was speaking to me, and I am glad that I listened.

I had the tank cross member welded in yesterday, and then came home and spruced up the tank plate. I picked up a couple of "Stover" nuts that I want to get welded to the cross member. They are metal 'locking nuts' (no plastic to melt when welded) The removal of the tank will be super simple by removing just two bolts. I can get to the nuts once the floor is installed, but it is kind of tricky. With these nuts welded in, I just have to unscrew the two bolts to remove the tank, easy peasy. Now all I have to do is find them nifty SS fuel tank fittings to completer this job.

I have to get ready to go to K-1 and get a few laps under my belt WOOT WOOT!
    CP......

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ For This Useful Post:

Marc (01-22-2017)