Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks

**SJ's...2017 Build-Off entry...QuadRat**

This Build-Off came at the perfect time because I am building a Quad for the upcoming racing season anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone. Various parts are on order, and plans are in the making.

I am starting this build with a 4" stretch Quad frame (thanks Slitz) and an empty forward facing 460 MB Case Reed. And you know me, once we get the parts in and we start fabing......I will be prolific with posting pics and progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    CP......
    HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SJ For This Useful Post:

Marc (01-14-2017),MrTea (01-10-2017),Slitz (01-13-2017)

Thanks
    Oh yea! Nice start SJ. I will be tuning in very closely to this one.

niz is offline Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
    Thanks
    Nice start SJ, look forward to seeing the progress on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushinit View Post
    There's a list? Wow that means Arick dodge was first and NIZ was second. Good to know.

Thanks
    Yes Kevin......I plan on trying my hand at racing in the upcoming season starting in March. There will be a number mods to this kart frame, some of which you mentioned, a few others....not yet tried. I will keep this thread updated with pics as we progress, and then Trophies as they accumulate
    CP......

Thanks
    Thank you for all of your comments and thoughts Kevin, but perhaps with all of this accumulated knowledge.......you should consider starting a Build Thread of your own. SHOW the community what you 'can do', instead of just telling others what you 'think' they should do
    CP......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ For This Useful Post:

CaliusOptimus (01-13-2017)

Thanks
    I am new to quad racing and quad building, so any input, advise or mod suggestions is appreciated. But with all of your experience Kevin it sounds like you should be building your own ped, and then sharing your ideas with the community in your Build-Off thread.
    CP......

Thanks
    While waiting on a couple of parts orders, I went and picked up some building material today. All this metal was only $25.00.
    CP......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    I am new to quad racing and quad building, so any input, advise or mod suggestions is appreciated. But with all of your experience Kevin it sounds like you should be building your own ped, and then sharing your ideas with the community in your Build-Off thread.
    He should make another how-to thread. "How I think SJ should build his build-off quad"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EvoSpeed For This Useful Post:

Gpedcruisin (01-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Steel is fairly cheap right now, great time to snag some for sure.

With my quad build I had a few objectives.

Shedding weight - While function is numero uno, I did sacrifice beefy bumpers for something a little more on the aesthetics side. Important to me, was creating more leg room. But you have already made option available to you with the extended frame. Excellent idea, the only thing I don't like about it, is you guys beat me to it.

Traction - I wanted to avoid duallies at all costs. Reality is, I rather spend $100 on new tires all around, over the $200 duallies impose. I'm lucky to get two 1.5L tanks out of a set of tires. Granted I love shreddin the damn things with aggressive driving. I do feel with a widened front and rear end I was able to compensate for duallies slightly, while protecting myself and others from a potential roll over. Food for thought I wreckon.

I am very excited for your build SJ, you never fail to impress with your attention to detail. Even with the smallest of things. ��
    Hell Fab

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Depths of Hell For This Useful Post:

Marc (01-17-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Depths of Hell View Post
    Steel is fairly cheap right now, great time to snag some for sure.

With my quad build I had a few objectives.

Shedding weight - While function is numero uno, I did sacrifice beefy bumpers for something a little more on the aesthetics side. Important to me, was creating more leg room. But you have already made option available to you with the extended frame. Excellent idea, the only thing I don't like about it, is you guys beat me to it.

Traction - I wanted to avoid duallies at all costs. Reality is, I rather spend $100 on new tires all around, over the $200 duallies impose. I'm lucky to get two 1.5L tanks out of a set of tires. Granted I love shreddin the damn things with aggressive driving. I do feel with a widened front and rear end I was able to compensate for duallies slightly, while protecting myself and others from a potential roll over. Food for thought I wreckon.

I am very excited for your build SJ, you never fail to impress with your attention to detail. Even with the smallest of things. ��
    Thanks Dave, that means a lot to me. Like I said I am new to quads and to racing, but I am very excited about the build, and eventually getting out on a track. Almost as excited as me becoming Grandfather So while I am still in good health I want to build me a little race car

Great minds must think alike That large round tube just happens to have the exact same I.D.as the O.D. of the stock front axle tube
    CP......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Congratulations by the way, I'd guess you are very excited to say the least. The beginning of a new part of your life, created by another life. Very cool!

I covered damn near everything in my build thread, please feel free to utilize anything you see valid for your build.
    You got to see my quad in action as well. Not sure if you have had the pleasure to ride one recently, but prepare for pure awesomeness my good man. 😀

You have me wanting to build another quad for the build off. I covered some stuff sith a few other members, amd want to make my own frames soon. I was all alone with my quad last build off, but the finished product was most certainly a win to me.🏁🤘🏁🤘🏁
    Hell Fab

Thanks
    I really only went there to get some tubing to make another crossmember between the frame rails to add a bit of extra rigidity where it most likely might be needed AND I can then use this fold up work stand for my Quad Rat at home, and or at the track. Kill two birds with one little 3.5 oz stone. Funny thing is it was cheaper for me to buy a whole 10' length and have him cut it any way that I wanted, than it was to have him sell me just a 2' section.
    CP......

Thanks

Something a little different.....

I am not sure how or where or even if I am going to mount these pedals on this kart, but I am sure going to give it a try.
    CP......

Thanks
    There is enough room for my cold hoppers and a little wiggle room to spare
    CP......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    But with all of your experience TheJoker
    You beat me to it, my thought exactly when having read 2 of his posts, saw avi and custom user title and then decided to wonder further.

However and on quad builds that involve spindle and clutch drive - possibly adaptable to chain drive - there is build threat of someone building a hybrid setup using 2 different clutched spindle drive engines and have them operate one shared spindle.

You could run 2x the same engine possibly even straight if flipping cylinders without a clutch, the OP of the build threat however mentioned that vibrations would be horrible as he mocked it up as that in a first attempt. These vibrations may be bearable on a quad or shred the bearings quickly, I don' t know and it likely depends on individual setup as well.

With a chain drive connecting these to a common driveshaft and clutch at each engine things get interresting.

Not too complex based on the report of the triple 460 build another member did 2 years back - 65 mph Ped:
    A primary ( common output shaft to axle) and secondary gearing ( which would translate into further option to install another drivetrain like a cvt - or just a regeared chain drive), to have one engine from start to mid speed and one for topspeed.

For three engines:
    You could probably get hold of bumpers similar to the ones Hells Stable ( a current or past Goped workers side business) and mount two or even 3 engines angled around one motor mount or tire ( if looking form the side to the quad: One hanging back at time 2:45, the other set to 1 o'clock and a Thord motor sitting at 11:00/23:00.