Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Custom 150cc evo build

hey, guys so I'm starting this thread a little late but here I go.. I got an idea to put an old 125cc ATV motor on my Evo a while back but I only recently got around to doing it. This first build was really only a prototype but the real build will be coming soon. sorry for the lack of pictures but I had no intentions of doing a build thread for it.
    so for starters, I remade the whole back frame pieces in 3/16 steel. I made the design and had my auto shop teacher help me cut it with the acetylene torch. in order to make room for the electronics and to keep the cylinder head from taking up all my deck space, i had to extend the wheelbase by 6". It was not perfect by any means but with a decent amount of grinding I got it up to a usable quality. I then drilled the holes to mount to the frame. Once I had it bolted to the frame I drilled the holes for the axle and I had a limo Evo roller
    once I had the roller it was time to get the engine mounted. I had a 5x5 3/16 precut plate and I drilled the 4 mounting holes on the bottom. My fabrication skills are very rudimentary so I had to redrill the holes about 3 times but I finally got the engine to bolt on. then I had to cut the chain slot out of the mounting plate. I just welded on a thin piece of metal after that for the electrical components in the new empty space.
    After all the fab work was done I bolted it up and crammed all the wiring into the pseudo-box I made for it. I started it up and put it through about 3 heat cycles before taking it out for its first ride and let me tell you it was exhilarating, to say the least! it was not amazingly fast because of the 3.14 final drive ratio on top of the 1.4 or so ratio in the trans. It was quick though. I hadn't yet got any rubber dampening material for the motor mount so it shook harder than a dryer with a brick in it but it worked!
    so I went and started working on something for the shifter because as of now I had been reaching back and kicking it which was suicide. I just took a 6" piece of flat bar iron and a smaller 2 1/2" foot piece and welded that to the shifter so I could just kick it with my heel. that worked pretty well but I want to refine it because it looked ugly as hell.
    Sadly about 5 days after I started riding it the throttle stuck while riding through a Walmart parking lot and I hit a curb and broke my hand. the old motor broke but is still repairable so I'll save that one for another project. I wanted to get a better motor for it anyway so I went out and got a 150cc HO motor from a friend. I would've gotten the same 125cc but he didn't have that one in stock so I just took the 150. It is most definitely overkill because I know I don't need 14hp but it's what I could get and it'll be awesome . I still have about 3 weeks left til I can really ride again so hopefully I'll have the new scooter done by then. The 3/16 frame setup I had made bent quite a bit in the crash so this time I am going to make it out of higher quality 1/4" steel that I am also having professionally cut so it's cleaner. This one will also have gussets to help with rigidity. i really want to do this one done well so I went out and bought a scratch and dent Evo for 300$. its really clean and has hardly any miles on it. I want to go get some parts powder coated to look like this scooter or something like that.

Name:  purple ped.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  171.6 KB
    I don't really know about the colors yet so if you guys have any suggestions on color schemes I am all for it. I was leaning towards something blue-ish. candy blue with silver accents or white with blue accents etc.
    That's just about everything I have done so far. I'll try to keep this thread updated if anyone is interested in seeing the progress. Sorry for any typing errors I am trying to type this all with a broken hand :P

Thanks
    Here is a startup video and some more pictures
    https://youtu.be/BiBaco7X3to
    Name:  IMG_4560.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  313.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_4558.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  309.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_4551.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  222.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_4550.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  247.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4549.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  228.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4548.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  207.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4535.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  172.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,521 Posts
    Damn right we're interested, keep those updates coming.

Throttle sticking, everyone's nightmare. Sorry to hear about your hand, hope it heals up quick for ya.

I like the fact you went prototype before finalizing anything. Great way to refine this build and really make it all it can be.

Great job so far! 👊🏽🤘🏽
    Hell Fab

Thanks
    Yess! I've wanted to build a scooter around one of these pitbike motors for a long time. Glad to see someone take on the project!

Thanks
    So I have a bit of a problem to solve. Whenever i would go over bumps and such the engine would cut out for a few seconds. I am pretty sure it was from the small pulse pump cutting out but i need to fix this because it adds a lot of instability. I am not sure how good or clean the fuel filter is (inline) but since it runs just fine i would asume its not the filter. So if i got another pump with a higher flow rate would that solve the problem?

Thanks
    Sounds like you could turn the idle up a tiny hut too maybe. Sounds like it's gonna be a torque beast

Thanks
    Just got the new engine in. Pitster Pro 150cc HO 4 speed with e start 14 hp engine!!Name:  IMG_4661.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  288.4 KBName:  IMG_4661.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  288.4 KB
    Also got the new evo chassis today! 300$ shipped scratch and dent. Went out to ride it and it seems like the clutch is janky but it doesnt matter because im not using it Name:  IMG_4662.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  280.7 KB
    I got a brand new mikuni carb. its not state of the art but its a lot nicer than the last one.Name:  IMG_4660.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  290.0 KB
    the new frame pieces should be done in about a week and a half. then i can really get rockin and get it runnin'!!

Thanks
    Okay, so I got the metal a few days ago. it looks really good and I am very happy with the cuts!
    Name:  IMG_4839.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  282.1 KB
    I also got some thick rubber to use for vibration dampening because it was really bad.
    Name:  IMG_4843.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  288.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_4844.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  304.1 KB
    I got a steering dampener and a new 28T sprocket
    Name:  IMG_4840.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  294.0 KB
    Then today I got the engine mount plate welded on. I'm a novice welder, to say the least, but I think they will hold. I bolted it onto the scooter and put the tire on to see what it would look like and it looks good I got the rubber cut out. I know it is not perfect but it'll work for now.
    Name:  IMG_4849.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  298.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_4848.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  300.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4847.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  289.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_4846.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  295.0 KB
    I cut out a slot in the mount for the chain to go through. I will probably have to hone it in more but it has the general shape. Onee thing I am not particularly happy about is that I had to cut up the motor to give clearance for the chain to go straight down from the sprocket.
    The last thing I got done today was getting the steering dampener bolted on and I must say its awesome!! it is so easy to do and only cost me about 40$ to do. would highly recommend.
    Name:  IMG_4855.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  283.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4856.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  279.8 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tuckgray907 For This Useful Post:

bbyrxb (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Okay, so I got a lot done today. The last couple of days were really bad. When I went to go weld the electronics box into the scooter I took it off the scooter so it pulled the two pieces too narrow. It wouldn't go onto the main frame under the deck and the wheel wouldn't fit. We tried to bend it and grind it and stretch it but none of that worked so we cut out the whole box. It looked crappy anyway so that's okay. So I went another direction with it. I had some more metal laying around so I cut out four angle iron (steel) pieces out one inch a piece. Then I welded them onto where the box was.I then took some metal and cut it to fit. The metal I got for it was way too thin though so its super hard to weld to the thick metal so they aren't very clean but I think they'll work for now :P Name:  IMG_4904.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  305.4 KBName:  IMG_4905.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  300.0 KBName:  IMG_4906.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  304.4 KBName:  IMG_4907.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  284.0 KBName:  IMG_4908.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  278.8 KB
    So then I drilled holes and tapped the angle iron. Then took some rudimentary measurements for the front and back plates. I already had the top cover cut out from the original box. Some of the measurements were not perfect but I made them work. I don't need the sides because the frame has sides. just FYI.
    Name:  IMG_4909.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  304.2 KBName:  IMG_4910.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  292.0 KBName:  IMG_4911.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  306.2 KBName:  IMG_4912.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  293.9 KBName:  IMG_4913.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  281.7 KBName:  IMG_4914.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  288.3 KB
    I will try to get a new battery tomorrow and finish some wiring and maybe a throttle cable. the throttle tube is in my mailbox too. not too much farther to go
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by tuckgray907; 07-18-2017 at 12:19 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tuckgray907 For This Useful Post:

Depths of Hell (08-07-2017)

Thanks
    could you show me the front shock absorber upgrade detail and maybe put some pictures on it. thanks

Thanks
    yeah, i will. I don't have the scooter because I am having cables made for it right now but when I get it back I will take pictures and show you. it is really easy all you need is some spacers and longer bolts. it took me less than 10 minutes to do

Thanks
    Very cool to see a picture of my Evo (the purple one you posted) being used for inspiration!

Looking forward to your updates and seeing how this thing comes out!
    Elliot Laurance
    Coast Ped, Goped Superstore, ADA
    World Domination 2003-2004

Thanks
    Sorry about the long wait time. I got quite busy with work and school but here it is. I got it drivable and put maybe 20 miles on it and I must say its fun. Even with the infinite number of remaining issues and such, it was still fun. I have it all torn down and am waiting on some moeny to order some hydraulic parts and get it painted.but in the meantime i think i will work on a few things. First i need to get the frame reinforced. I need to tighten up the front section which will be a chore because i have to rebuild some of the frame for that but ill get it done. I need to get the enginemount plate ground down to be flush with the side plates. I need to get a lid for the electronics box and a hinge. I need to get all custom sprockets made and install a spring loaded chain tensioner. In order to get this thing up to speed (which is going to be roughly 80 mph based off some speed to hp calculators) I am going to need a final gearing ratio of .9 so that means a custom 20 tooth front sprocket and a custom 21 tooth rear sprocket. That is not going to be too hard to do as i know a couple of places that can do it locally. Then i need to make new engine mount bolts so they dont come undone. I also need a new carburetor. I will hopefully be getting all of this off amazon soon. One other thing im going to get is some waterproof auto electrical connectors. I am going to get one 6 pin for the front control wires and then one 5 pin for the engine wires. That will help clean up the wiring. Then i need to cut and reweld the exhaust pipe because it is too short right now.
    Enough about what needs to be done. Here are some pictures I took and a few videos.
    Name:  IMG_4932.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  292.3 KBName:  IMG_4931.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  292.4 KBName:  IMG_4935.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  294.9 KBName:  IMG_4937.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  291.9 KBName:  IMG_4938.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  295.5 KBName:  IMG_4940.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  290.2 KBName:  IMG_4941.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  287.3 KBName:  IMG_4993.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  303.2 KB

Thanks
    do you mean steering dampener? I haven't done the shock yet. But if you are talking about the steering dampener it's really easy all you need is a 40mm m6x1.00 bolt and a 70mm m8x1.25 bolt I think and then just two spacers each about 1 inch long. Then you just swap out the bolts and bolt it on.

Thanks
    Ok so I know it's been a long time since I've posted any updates and I am sorry but I took the parts to go get powder coated and the guy went through some management changes so it took about a month to get the parts back. I got 2 pin, 5 pin and 6 pin waterproof automotive electrical connectors and put them on all the wires to clean things up and keep water out. I also got some other new parts in. I got two hydraulic levers and two hydraulic clutch conversion slave cylinders. One of them is for the clutch and the other is for the front brake. The reason i don't want to keep the cable for the front brake is because I couldn't find levers that I liked that had only hydraulic clutch and cable brake levers.I wanted the hydraulic clutch lever because the clutch was really really hard to pull because it is a new engine and also because i was using a small 3.5 bmx lever to pull them with. The levers are mostly for looks rather than functionality but they are definitely nice. I got some silver braided steel brake lines for the levers but both were the wrong length so i have to reorder them. I got them to fit and work but it's not very pretty. I got the powdercoated parts back about 3 days ago and I've got it fully assembled with only a few kinks to work out. One kink is the brake lines, the other one is the throttle cable isn't perfect length which i think i solved that problem by routing it differently. Another one is that i need a custom made sprocket to get the motor to its full potential. I am going to need a rear gear that is about 17 teeth and a front that is about 18. This is due to the primary drive ratio being 4:1 because this is a dirt bike engine. So even though the 4th gear ratio is still .9 it only goes max of 25. The last thing that i can think of to fix is the shift lever because it is really ugly. I took pieces of flat bar i had and ghetto rigged a shifter setup but i'll be replacing it soon. Oh and one more thing to mention is I welded gussets into the rear frame portion to keep things a bit more rigid. One other thing that I did was sleeved all of the wires and gas lines in red and black sleeve that I got off amazon. I was going to get blue but I ordered the wrong part. Let me know what you guys think because I think the red looks good but the blue might look better. I ran out of sleeving and that's why the fuel in line isn't sleeved and i was going to do the throttle cable but like i said i ran out. I will be ordering more but i want to wait to see if i should redo it in blue or just finish with the red sleeving. So here are all the pictures that i have of it so far. Forgive the quality but these are taken from my phone. I am going to take really nice pictures with a dslr soon.Name:  IMG_5235.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  290.8 KBName:  IMG_5261.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  317.9 KBName:  IMG_5237.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  289.6 KBName:  IMG_5238.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  290.4 KBName:  IMG_5239.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  287.1 KBName:  IMG_5241.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  297.6 KBName:  IMG_5243.jpg