Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Carbon Fiber Kit came in today...

My hands hurt so bad right now.

I couldn't get the Goped logo down right, and didn't realize it was a plastic mold with a chrome sticker overlay. Didn't get it as cleanly done as I hoped for, but..

For now this will work, I think it came out really nice. Happy with the effort.

Also ended up doing the tank plastic spacers in carbon fiber as well. Hard to see in bad lighting so I'll snap a picture outside later on.
    Last edited by contract; 03-10-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,521 Posts
    You are really doing justice to your 40 with this rebuild, its obvious how much you really love that ped. Keep up the good work!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Depths of Hell For This Useful Post:

contract (03-10-2014)

Thanks
    You held the heat gun to it or got it too hot in one spot, it’ll deform the weave when that happens. It also happens easier if it’s cheap vinyl. 3M Dinoc is the stuff to buy, very easy to work with material and more resilient than the cheaper stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by cablescum
    Not because you were a mod because you were a bastard.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ysrelement For This Useful Post:

contract (03-14-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ysrelement View Post
    You held the heat gun to it or got it too hot in one spot, itíll deform the weave when that happens. It also happens easier if itís cheap vinyl. 3M Dinoc is the stuff to buy, very easy to work with material and more resilient than the cheaper stuff.
    Thanks man.

Couldn't figure out how to heat it up without burning my hands at the same time ha. Even gloves didn't work...

I picked 3M DI-NOC DINOC though. (Heard it was the best) Was really easy to shape and move around for the most part. But when I got down to the fender bottom and goped logo, it just wouldn't stick/shape right. No matter how much heat I applied it would not conform to that circular shape. I kept tugging at it, but it would get hard/cold too fast.

I have another sheet coming in and will give it another shot. Was my first time doing this (No tools just a hairdryer). Thanks for the tip about the deforming, had no idea.

Small update:

Bought a new Goped metal throttle. Arrived today, but no photos yet.

Final DDM order arrives sometime tomorrow:

- DDM v2 78mm Steel Clutch Bell
    - Kill Switch Cord Complete
    - NGK BM7A Spark Plug
    - Kill Switch Assembly
    - 1.25" Spacer for BF / GSR Bothy Fork for 5/8" bolts

Weather is looking great for Friday (tomorrow)

Plan on taking that first ride.

Only parts left to pick up (for now) are the gas can, oil measuring tool, and carb spring.

No helmet yet, so planning on only taking a slow cruise on the bike trail...

Assuming the parts arrive and the weather is decent, I'll snap some outdoor photos of the GSR40.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by contract View Post
    Thanks man.

Couldn't figure out how to heat it up without burning my hands at the same time ha. Even gloves didn't work...

I picked 3M DI-NOC DINOC though. (Heard it was the best) Was really easy to shape and move around for the most part. But when I got down to the fender bottom and goped logo, it just wouldn't stick/shape right. No matter how much heat I applied it would not conform to that circular shape. I kept tugging at it, but it would get hard/cold too fast.

I have another sheet coming in and will give it another shot. Was my first time doing this (No tools just a hairdryer). Thanks for the tip about the deforming, had no idea.
    Get yourself some basic window tint tools. A hard card and a squeegee work great on Dinoc. If you start in the middle and work your way out it’ll lay on curves a lot better and with less heat. Oh and get a heat gun at a hobby store I’ve got one that was $20 and works great. Hair dryer doesn’t have consistent enough heat and that’s probably the culprit of it getting cold quickly.

That’s a great first attempt, I covered a light switch plate first to get some practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cablescum
    Not because you were a mod because you were a bastard.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ysrelement For This Useful Post:

contract (03-14-2014)

Thanks
    Just got back from the first cruise...

It was awesome!

No problems at all, pulls hard. The 9 tooth gearing is perfect for me. I don't have a helmet yet, so I couldn't really go WOT. But I did it 2-3 times anyways and it felt just incredible.

I love that BRAPPPPP sound. Didn't realize how much I missed it.

At slow speeds my steering is a bit wavy; I'm still getting used to riding one of these again. New tires too so the grip is awfully slippery, need to break them in a bit.

Smoked problem stopped as well, just needed to warm up the engine.

Been a GREAT day.

Photos + Video soon. Working on taking photos now.

Thanks everyone on BB for helping me getting back into Gopeds. All the engine/tech talk has been a HUGE help!

Going to take a 5-10 mile ride tomorrow. Only rode for a mile or so tonight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by contract View Post
    Just got back from the first cruise...
    It was awesome!
    No problems at all, pulls hard. The 9 tooth gearing is perfect for me. I don't have a helmet yet, so I couldn't really go WOT. But I did it 2-3 times anyways and it felt just incredible.
    Going to take a 5-10 mile ride tomorrow. Only rode for a mile or so tonight.
    I am glad that your maiden voyage was a big success I hope to take my first ride (on this current build) within the next few months.

You really should strongly consider getting a Helmet before you go on your 5-10 mile ride. It only takes one fall or some idiot in a car to ruin not only your day, but potentially the rest of your life. So use your head for something other than a great place to store your new Helmet
    CP......
    HOW we ride today, may determine IF we can ride tomorrow

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ For This Useful Post:

contract (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    I am glad that your maiden voyage was a big success I hope to take my first ride (on this current build) within the next few months.

You really should strongly consider getting a Helmet before you go on your 5-10 mile ride. It only takes one fall or some idiot in a car to ruin not only your day, but potentially the rest of your life. So use your head for something other than a great place to store your new Helmet
    Thank you!! Nice man. I will find a local shop and buy a new helmet for tomorrow.

Thanks
    As promised... Some current build photos:

Nowhere near being done, but here we go:

Thanks
    You should put your engine cover on. It helps cool the engine. Looking good.
    "I love to fart in my hand and smell it. Anyone else love to do this?
    I am PGM, enough said!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Noped For This Useful Post:

contract (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    very nice, but like noped said u need the shroud...very very clean though i love ur propole im thinking of mounting mine up tonight

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jesus420 For This Useful Post:

contract (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks guys! Yeah for sure need an engine cover.

The ped didn't have one when I got it back. But going to pick up the ADA billet headkit around the end of the month to keep it cool. Still buying a new shroud though.. Not a fan of having the flywheel open/exposed at the top like that. Will just need that side part.

Thanks
    If you stick with the original round style 40 headkit you can actually trim, slot and drill out the cover then glue the top guard on and fit the whole set up under everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketped View Post
    Damn Texan

20. The Following User Says Thank You to depog revilo For This Useful Post:

contract (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    I know this is your rebuild picture thread, I just posted those pics for help if you wanted to run a cover over your HK. If you want those pics I posted removed let me know.

Your build looks great by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketped View Post
    Damn Texan

22. The Following User Says Thank You to depog revilo For This Useful Post:

contract (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    Just got back from the 1st REAL ride...

WOT!!

Was a blast to really max it out.

No idea how fast I went (9/76); I always felt in control on the GSR40.

Very smooth ride, except for the random bumps/paint markings on the bike trail.

Tears your hands up a bit even with gloves you absorb all the front shocks.

Other than that, I can't wait to ride tomorrow.

My rules for riding:

- Slow down when coming up to people, idle on by..

- Always glance back quickly to make sure I've passed them completely before taking over the lane.

- Only WOT'd when totally alone/safe.

- Ride ~4-7pm or when they are no younger kids on the trail, just adults and older couples. No later than 8pm..

Trying to be respectful.. I'm the only one out here with a Goped, and I don't want to give our hobby a bad image/impression.

Just encouraging a positive/fun hobby for others to try.

Had one person ask me how fast it goes, another say it was "awesome".

Bought a new helmet tonight as well so I could ride.. Upload pics here in a second.

Was a good night.